Few things in life are as easy with huge rewards as this french toast recipe. For instance, dunking baguette in a spicy, cheesy, herby egg wash is a short and quick road to a full bellied, Sunday success.
I picked up a freshly baked baguette but this also works perfectly fine if you have some stale bread that needs using desperately.
What you will need:
- A little more than half loaf of baguette (or any thick bread)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 a medium Onion; finely chopped
- 3 Green chillies; finely chopped
- Finely chopped coriander
- Italian seasoning mixed herbs
- 3/4 cup grated cheese of your choice (I used a mild cheddar)
- Maggie Chilli Sauce to serve with
How to cook:
- Slice the baguette into pieces of desired thickness and set aside.
- Prepare the egg dipping mixture by adding the onions, herbs, chillies, coriander, salt and pepper whisking it until fully incorporated.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Dunk the bread in the egg mixture and thoroughly coat it ensuring that the onions ad chillies stick to the bread.
- Heat a pan with about 1 Tbs Olive oil and place the bread slices. Flip after about 2 mins of cooking on a medium flame and take off the heat when both sides are cooked and no egg mixture oozes out when you press down on the bread gently.
- Serve these up with some chilli sauce and hot cup of tea!
Happy cooking 🙂