This sweet, subtly spiced curry is perfect for when you don’t have much time to cook dinner but don’t want to resort to the quick n easy pasta. Try this and serve it with some hot steamed rice.
What you will need:
- 150 gm Shrimp (Fresh preferred but Frozen is just fine too)
- Half of a medium sized onion, chopped finely
- 1 Red Pepper cut into even lenghtwise pieces
- 1 1/2 inch of Ginger grated
- 1 big clove or 2 small cloves of Garlic grated
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 Dry red chillies
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut (optional)
- 1 tsp Asofoetida (skip it if you don’t have it or can’t get your hands on easily)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup of Coconut Milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbs Vegetable Oil (not olive because it does change the flavour)
- 1/4 cup water
How to cook:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and Mustard, Cumin seeds and Red chillies
- Next add the Onion, Ginger and Garlic to the pan and sautee it (turn the heat down a bit if it’s too hot, you don’t want to brown the onions just cook out the acidity). If adding the grated coconut do so now.
- Once done sauteeing for about 2 mins add water to soften the onions further and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes .
- Then add the turmeric powder and Asofoetida and mix to evenly combine the turmeric with the onions and spice mix.
- Add the Garam Masala and sautee on medium heat for another 2 minutes.
- Now come the peppers and shrimp, stir so that the shrimp is covered in the spice mix.
- Add Coconut Milk and stir so everything is combined, add salt to taste and then let it simmer covered, on low heat for 15 minutes.