Some recipes are easy as 1 2 3 and some might wonder why I am sharing a simple daal recipe. However, a lot of my friends loveee eating daal and often ask me for an “simple” recipe.
- 1 Cup Masoor Daal (Red Lentils)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tomato, roughly diced
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
For the Tadka (Tempering):
- 1 Tbsp Ghee / Clarified butter
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped up
- Half an onion, chopped finely
- 1 Tsp Asofoetida
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (optional)
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
To cook the Daal:
- Washed the lentils about three to four times to clean any dirt of residue on the grains.
- Added 2 cups of water to the daal in the pressure cooker, chopped Tomatoes, Turmeric and Chilli powder.
- Pressure cook for 7 to 10 minutes – 2 whistles on high heat and three on low heat.
For the Tempering:
- Heat the Ghee in a small pan and when hot add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Red chillies and let them start to splutter.
- Then add the chopped Garlic and Onions; mix and add asofoetida. Sautee until Garlic and Onions are cooked.
- Add the tempering to the cooked daal, add Salt to taste and let it simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy with hot Rotis or Steamed Rice! 🙂