We have started on the slow, long journey of moving away from using refined sugar in desserts and cooking. Everyone in our house has a sweet tooth and with me cooking and baking so often it’s becoming harder to stay fit.
I thought of this because I was craving a cheesecake but was dreading the calories involved in the consumption of a good, bad ass creamy ‘real’ cheesecake. So for those who want some guilt free indulgence here’s what you need!
What you will need:
- 500 gm ripe strawberries cut lengthwise
- 170 gm cream or 1 tin of Nestle Cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs Raw Organic Honey
- 1 Tbs Lime juice
- 1 1/12 cup Digestive biscuits crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Almonds that are coarsely ground
How to cook:
- Mix the biscuit crumbs and butter together and flatten it onto the pie plate to form a biscuit crumb base. Set aside in the fridge to firm up.
- Combine the greek yogurt and cream in a bowl and whisk till it feels slightly stiff and forms the smallest soft peaks. I used an electric whisk on the lowest setting being mindful not to over whip as the yogurt cream filling can split.
- Add the honey and vanilla extract and fold this into the cream filling; set aside.
- Spread the ground almonds onto the biscuit base and save some for garnishing later.
- Pour this onto a firmed up biscuit pie base and set in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice to strawberries and mix well. The cream filling should appear less runny than before and now you can place the strawberries on in any way you please.
Dust it with some of the ground almonds before serving and dig in!! 🙂
Image Credit: TeachMeHowToCurry